Mebyon Kernow is a political party based in Cornwall who’s main objective of MK is to establish greater autonomy through the establishment of a legislative Cornish Assembly not unlike the Welsh Assembly and Scottish Parliament.
The inaugural meeting of Mebyon Kernow took place on Saturday 6th January 1951 at Oates Hotel in Redruth. There were thirteen people present and a further seven sent apologies. Among that score of founder members were four future Grand Bards and a future university professor. Helena Charles was elected Chairman, with Lambert Truran as Secretary and George Pawley White as Treasurer.
At the first meeting, MK adopted the following objectives:
- To study local conditions and attempt to remedy any that may be prejudicial to the best interests of Cornwall by the creation of public opinion or other means.
- To foster the Cornish Language and Literature
- To encourage the study of Cornish History from a Cornish point of view.
- By self knowledge to further the acceptance of the idea of the Celtic character of Cornwall one of the six Celtic nations..
- To publish pamphlets, broadsheets, articles and letters in the Press whenever possible, putting forward the foregoing aims.
- To arrange concerts and entertainments with a Cornish-Celtic flavour through which these aims can be further advanced.
- To cooperate with all societies concerned with preserving the character of Cornwall.